Friday, October 8, 2010

I'll Get Around To It


Procrastination. I’d love to write about it, and I will, but I’ve got a few other things to do first.

Like open the junk mail. Wow. Lookit this, I can get a free $10 gift card if I sign up on-line with this high-end, hoity-toity, appliance store. It’ll only take a minute to sign up. Granted, ten bucks won’t go far there. I could maybe get some cupcake papers or a cookie cutter…

Okay, back to writing about procrastination. It plagues most writers I know and a few I don’t know. I’ll wager I’m not the only one who can find a myriad of small things to do before finally settling down to write.

Like deciding on what music to listen to. Writing-by-music is a priority. It has to be just the right music for just the right mood. Right now it’s Garth Brooks and all his friends in low places, but don’t let that bother you. It’s not a reflection on the quality of readers here.

Where were we? Ah yes, procrastination. It’s not like I do it on purpose. I love to write, I love to sit down with my story and see where it’s going next. In fact, I’m about to get busy.

But first I need to check my Facebook account because something interesting might have happened there since the last time I looked, which was… Well, I won’t tell you when I last looked because you might think I’m a compulsive nutcase. Which I’m not, unless it comes to checking the CompuServe Writer’s Forum for new posts.

I don’t know what the cure for procrastination is. There might be an answer on the ‘net someplace. In fact, I might Google it one day if I need something to do before settling down to write.

But right now I need to organize my paper clips.

4 comments:

  1. page right out of my autobiography, once I get around to writing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! How many times a day do I open that forum page? Though I keep myself from staying logged in to anything - if I have the browser closed and I'm logged out all the time, it's harder to be distracted by gmailyahoofacebookforumblogworld. If I'm logged in, I start thinking 'ooh, well, maybe I'll just reply to that thread - and oh look, Janet's put up a link to JK Rowling's scribbles and -'
    And it never ends :-)
    So I bribe myself... Come on, just type up a 1000 words and you can play Tetris...

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! I'm with you. Catch up on blogs, check in the Forum, slide by email for the twentieth time in a morning...

    ReplyDelete